Sensand complies with applicable privacy and data protection laws (together, the Privacy Laws) in the collection, storage, transfer, processing, retention and deletion of your Personal Information, including the Privacy Act 1988 (Australia) (Privacy Act).
1. Your consent in relation to Personal Information
2. What is Personal Information?
‘Personal Information’ is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
- whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
- whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
3. What types of Personal Information do we collect from you?
Examples of the Personal Information that we may collect from you include your name, email address, residential address and phone number.
When you use our products or services or visit our website or access our QR code we may automatically collect information about your computer hardware and software, including your IP address, browser type, domain names, internet service provider, the files viewed on our site (e.g. HTML pages, graphics, etc.), operating system, clickstream data, access times and referring website addresses. This information is used by Sensand for analytics and statistics purposes and use in our Customer Relationship Management System. For these purposes, we may link this automatically-collected data to Personal Information such as name and email address.
4. Personal Information collected from other sources
If someone other than you provides us with Personal Information about you that we did not ask for, or you provide us with unsolicited Personal Information, we will only hold, use or disclose this information if we determine that we could have collected this information from you had we asked for it. In this circumstance, we will take all reasonable steps to notify you of the collection of that information. If we could not have collected this Personal Information, we will lawfully de-identify or destroy that Personal Information.
5. We do not purposefully collect sensitive information about you
We do not ask for or purposefully collect sensitive information about you (as defined in the Privacy Act) unless you provide it to us voluntarily. ‘Sensitive information’ includes information or opinion about an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinion, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or criminal record, provided that the information or opinion otherwise meets the definition of personal information.
You consent to us collecting sensitive information which you provide to us voluntarily. If we need to collect any sensitive information for a specific purpose, we will ask for your specific consent.
6. Security of your Personal Information
All Personal Information that we collect is protected using appropriate physical, technical and organisational measures and is restricted to our authorised staff on a strict need-to-know basis. We secure the Personal Information you provide on servers in a controlled, secure environment, protected from unauthorised access, use or disclosure. In appropriate cases, we require our external service providers with access to Personal Information to sign data processing agreements that require them to take the necessary and reasonable steps to protect the Personal Information provided to them. Despite these reasonable steps, no security system is impenetrable and, due to the inherent nature of the internet, we cannot guarantee that information, during transmission through the internet or while stored on our systems or otherwise, will be absolutely safe from unauthorised access by others.
7. How do we use your Personal Information?
Our use of your Personal Information will depend on our relationship with you, the circumstances of collection, and the types of products and services you request from us.
- to improve our products, services and our website;
- for analytics and statistics purposes including use in our Customer Relationship Management System;
- to send information or content to you which we think may be of interest to you by email or other means;
- to promote use of our products or services to you and share promotional and information content with you in accordance with your communication preferences; and
- to send information to you regarding changes to terms and conditions that apply to our products or services.
We may de-identify Personal Information and aggregate it with other de-identified data for the purpose of adapting or improving our products or services, or producing new products or services.
8. Who do we disclose your Personal Information to?
We may disclose Personal Information in accordance with the applicable law and for the purposes described above, including to third parties such as our contractors, suppliers, and service providers who help us deliver, administer, and support our products and services, including:
- delivering our products and services;
- hosting our website;
- conducting data analysis, research, surveys and CRM;
- data processing, storage and back-up; and
- processing payments.
Disclosure to our service providers
We engage other entities to provide services to our customers and other users and may need to share your information with them to provide products or services to you. Examples may include analysing data or performing statistical analysis, using data in Customer Relationship Management System, supplementing the information you provide us in order to provide you with better products or services, and providing support. In all cases where we share your information with such entities, we explicitly require them to acknowledge and adhere to our privacy and data handling policies.
Disclosure for the purposes of corporate transactions
If Sensand or its business or assets are acquired by another company, whether by merger or acquisition, that company would receive all information held by Sensand that had been gathered by use of our products or services or through the use of our website. If this information includes your Personal Information, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our website, of any such change in ownership or control, the uses of your Personal Information, and choices you may have regarding your Personal Information.
We reserve the right to use or disclose your Personal Information if required by law or if we reasonably believe that use or disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or comply with a law, subpoena or other court order or legal process. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to notify you of such compelled disclosure where permitted to do so. Sensand strives to balance your privacy rights with other legal requirements.
9. How to exercise your rights in relation to your Personal Information
You have the following rights in relation to the Personal Information that you provide us:
- you can request access, correction, updates or deletion of your Personal Information;
- you can object to processing of your Personal Information, ask us to restrict processing of your Personal Information or request portability of your Personal Information;
- if we have collected and processed your Personal Information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your Personal Information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent; and
- you have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your Personal Information.
Accuracy of your Personal Information
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the Personal Information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date, and we will try to confirm your details through our communications with you and promptly add updated or new Personal Information to existing records when we are advised. However, we rely on the accuracy of Personal Information as provided to us both directly and indirectly. If you believe we are holding information about you that is inaccurate, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, you can ask us to correct it, or delete it altogether.
To unsubscribe from our communications
You may unsubscribe from our marketing communications by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link located on the bottom of our emails, updating your communication preferences, or by contacting us at the details above. Customers cannot opt-out of receiving transactional emails related to their account with us.
10. How long do we keep your Personal Information
We retain Personal Information that you provide to us where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, as needed to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your Personal Information, we securely delete the information or anonymise it or, if this is not possible, securely store your Personal Information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible. We will delete this information at an earlier date if you so request.
If you have elected to receive marketing communications from us, we retain information about your marketing preferences for a reasonable period of time from the date you last expressed interest in our content, products, or services, such as when you last opened an email from us or ceased using your Sensand account. We retain information derived from cookies and other tracking technologies for a reasonable period of time from the date such information was created.
11. Cookies and similar technologies
12. External Websites
13. International transfers of Personal Information
Some of the third parties we disclose your Personal Information to may be based overseas or have servers located overseas. Before we disclose your information to our overseas recipients, we will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your information is only processed for authorised purposes and adequately protected using the appropriate technical, organisational, contractual or other lawful means. You consent to us disclosing your Personal Information to overseas recipients on this basis.
15. Making A Complaint
If we cannot resolve your complaint to a satisfactory standard, you are entitled to lodge your complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at http://www.oaic.gov.au.
16. Contact Details